44 Energy is a consulting company providing engineering skills and expertise to support clients in the transportation and power generation markets (https://44energy.com/).
The owners/founders started the company in 2013, growing the business to become a profitable enterprise by creating a culture of hard work, entrepreneurial thinking, and teamwork. The business is growing with a list of key clients and a backlog of work, and the organization is looking to hire an experienced Engineer to support the existing business practice areas as well as support expanding the types of projects and clients we serve.
44 Energy manages a wide variety of consulting projects across several focus areas:
- Advanced powertrain technologies, including zero-emission vehicles (ZEVs)
- Internal combustion engines
- Emissions and emission controls
- Conventional and alternative fuels
- Power generation and industrial processes
44 Energy services include:
- Vehicle and powertrain engineering
- Expert witness
- Regulatory support
- Investor due diligence
44 Energy is led by industry veterans with significant engineering and business development expertise. A qualified candidate will enjoy a fast-paced environment that will develop skills in practical, hands-on engineering, advanced troubleshooting and problem solving, web-based research and information gathering, and project management. Over the long term, the position offers the opportunity to progress to Engineer II, with more project and personnel management responsibility. As 44 Energy continues to grow, opportunities for advancement will be made available.
Position Requirements and Scope of Responsibility Include but are Not Limited to:
- Following the direction of project lead, conduct background literature review, execute experiments, analyze data, interpret results, and present findings in presentations and reports. May be assigned to multiple complex projects concurrently.
- Assist in preparation and presentation of internal and client reports.
- Generate and implement test plans for field testing. This may include:
- Vehicle emissions and fuel economy or fuel economy equivalent testing.
- Stationary emissions or performance testing.
- Large field trials or data collection exercises.
- Other hands-on field work.
- Learn about technical details of emission control systems, alternative powertrains, alternative fuels, and zero-emission technologies and then be able to use critical thinking to answer complex client questions and set up appropriate testing campaigns or studies.
- Perform background technology and research to inform field test work, including analysis of powertrains, fuels, and emissions.
- Acquire and screen vehicles for testing.
- Set up vehicles for testing, devise appropriate test plans, and perform in-field test work according to the test plan.
- Process and assemble data into reports, interpret results, and recommend next steps.
- Work cooperatively with other engineers to manage project resources and budgets to ensure projects stay on budget and staff maintain high utilization.
- Maintain and calibrate test equipment. Ensure that 44 Energy is using state-of-the-art equipment and test techniques. Specific focus on vehicle testing.
- Use project management skills to help deploy resources effectively and maximize test throughput/up-time.
- The position is based in 44 Energy’s Oakland office, though flexibility will be considered.
- Position will support 44 Energy’s global testing campaigns and will require recurring travel. This will include travel within the US as well as travel to the UK and Australia. Typical trip length is 1-2 weeks, working with one or more colleagues.
Education, Skills, and Qualifications:
- B.S. or M.S. in relevant engineering field from highly regarded university. Mechanical Engineering or Chemical Engineering preferred with other closely related disciplines considered (i.e., Aerospace).
- Ability to run and maintain advanced test equipment, including portable emissions measurement systems (PEMS), dynamometer, and other emissions/fuel economy equipment. Training for this will be provided.
- Hands-on experience setting up data acquisition and hardware control systems.
- Ability to perform advanced engineering analysis of complex datasets and assemble analysis into sophisticated report with graphical interpretation of data. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are critical.
- Ability to interface and communicate with clients in a knowledgeable, professional manner.
- Fluency in at least one programming language (Python, MATLAB, LabVIEW, or similar).
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Prior experience with automotive OEM or Tier 1 supplier, including experience in powertrain controls and calibration strongly preferred.
- ZEV experience beneficial but not critical.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary range $90,000 – $130,000 / year.
- Company sponsored health benefits.
- 401(k) with employer matching.
- Paid vacation and holidays.
Email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.