44 Energy is a consulting company providing technology, engineering, and expertise for innovation in sustainable energy and transportation (https://44energy.com/).
The owners/founders started the company in 2013 and have since grown the business to become a profitable enterprise by creating a culture of hard work, entrepreneurial thinking, and teamwork. The business is growing with a list of key clients and a backlog of work, and the organization is in need of an experienced Engineer to help with the existing business practice areas as well as support expanding the types of projects and clients we serve.
44 Energy manages a wide variety of consulting projects across several focus areas:
- Advanced powertrain technologies, including zero-emission vehicles (ZEVs)
- Emissions and emission controls
- Internal combustion engines
- Conventional and alternative fuels
- Industrial processes
44 Energy services include:
- Expert witness
- Regulatory support
- Investor due diligence
44 Energy is led by industry veterans with significant engineering and business development expertise. A qualified candidate will enjoy a fast-paced environment that will develop skills in practical, hands-on engineering, advanced troubleshooting and problem solving, web-based research and information gathering, and project management. Over the long term, the position offers the opportunity to progress to Senior Engineer, then move into an engineering management position or possibly consulting business development, as 44 Energy continues to grow.
Position Requirements and Scope of Responsibility Include but are not Limited to:
- Following the direction of project lead, conduct background literature review, execute experiments, analyze data, interpret results, and present findings in presentations and reports. May be assigned to multiple complex projects concurrently.
- Assist in preparation and presentation of client reports.
- Generate and implement test plans for field testing. This may include:
- Vehicle emissions and fuel economy or fuel economy equivalent testing.
- Stationary emissions or performance testing.
- Large field trials or data collection exercises.
- Other hands-on field work.
- Learn about technical details of emission control systems, alternative powertrains, alternative fuels, and zero-emission technologies and then be able to use critical thinking to answer complex client questions and set up appropriate testing campaigns or studies.
- Perform background technology and research to inform field test work, including analysis of powertrains, fuels, and emissions.
- Guide studies and analysis based on prior experience in powertrain controls and calibration development.
- Help acquire and screen vehicles for testing.
- Set up vehicles for testing, devise appropriate test plans, and perform in-field test work according to the test plan.
- Process and assemble data into reports, interpret results, and recommend next steps.
- Work cooperatively with other engineers to help manage project resources and budget to ensure projects stay on budget and staff maintain high utilization.
- Maintain and calibrate test equipment. Help ensure that 44 Energy is using state-of-the-art equipment and test techniques. Specific focus on vehicle testing.
- Use project management skills to help deploy resources effectively and maximize test throughput/up-time.
- The position is based in 44 Energy’s Oakland office, with some level of flexibility for working remotely at times.
- Position will support 44 Energy’s global testing campaigns and will require travel. This will include travel within the US as well as travel to the UK and Australia. Typical trip length is 1-2 weeks, working with one or more colleagues.
Education, Skills, and Qualifications:
- B.S. or (preferred) M.S. in relevant engineering field from top tier university. Mechanical Engineering or Chemical Engineering preferred with other closely related disciplines considered (i.e., Aerospace).
- Ability to run and maintain advanced test equipment, including portable emissions measurement systems (PEMS), dynamometer, and other emissions/fuel economy equipment.
- Hands-on experience setting up data acquisition and hardware control systems.
- Ability to perform advanced engineering analysis of complex datasets and assemble analysis into sophisticated report with graphical interpretation of data. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are critical.
- Ability to interface with clients in a knowledgeable, professional manner.
- Fluency in at least one programming language (Python, MATLAB, LabVIEW, or similar).
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Prior experience with automotive OEM or Tier 1 supplier preferred, approx. 5 years.
- Prior experience in powertrain controls and calibration strongly preferred.
- ZEV experience beneficial but not critical.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary range $100,000 – $140,000 / year.
- Company sponsored health benefits.
- 401(k) with employer matching.
- Paid vacation and holidays.
Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.